Friday, August 12, 2011

Nostalgia

Tonight, I'm feeling all nostalgic....

The above pictures were taken on the 12th August 2007 - the very last day of my TOM Team year, and the end of Team B.E.R.T. We look so young and innocent! And exceptionally tear-stained - it was the saddest day ever! This was the end of our 'farewell service' and lunch....and just before we went home to pack up, and look at each other blankly with shell shocked expressions!

It's so difficult for me to jot down a few thoughts about T.O.M - mainly because there's so much that I could say! I genuinely think that, aside from my salvation, my year on Team on Mission is the thing that I am most thankful to God for...everything about the year was so totally 'right', so what I needed and exactly when I needed it.

I am so thankful to God that He allowed me to spend a year living in community with 3 genuinely lovely, loving and Godly friends.
That we were totally surrounded and supported by people who were totally all about loving us, encouraging us, sharing life with us, all the while calling us forward into all that God had for us.
That we were taught to love the Bible, to really value the word of God. That we were immersed in solid Biblical teaching, faithful proclamation of the Gospel, and that we were encouraged to ask questions.
I love that comfort zones were forbidden....that we were constantly put in situations where God had to take over - where it was all about Him and not at all about us.

I know it's cliched, but it was a genuinely life-changing experience for me, there will never be words to allow me to express how much that year meant to me. It was real 'growing-up' year; I often think I had more sense then that I do now!

I'm also humbled when I think of all the stuff that has happened since then - the stuff in between then and now. The fact that I've moved away from home, done a degree, been to Africa, conquered a heck of alot of fears, moved back home again, become more secure in my identity, explored more of God's calling on my life, made some amazing friends.......in all of it, I have been so overwhelmed by God's faithfulness, by His provision, by His love and grace.

Tonight, I am so reminded of the fact that I am on a journey - that God is constantly changing me, constantly challenging me, and constantly using me. The journey didn't end 4 years ago...every day, I am being transformed, everyday I am learning what it means to serve the God who I love so dearly. Some days I do that better than others, but every day is a tiny step, and as long as I keep walking, I'll get there in the end. Awesome.


1 comment:

Poppy said...

Great post! And so so true! God is always challenging us. It's really up to us whether we will ignore the challenge or face it head on!